XFS status update for May 2010

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: XFS status update for May 2010
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 09:22:21 -0400
In May 2010 we saw the long awaited release of Linux 2.6.34, which includes
a large XFS update.  The most important features appearing in 2.6.34 was the
new inode and quota flushing code, which leads to much better I/O patterns
for metadata-intensive workloads.  Additionally support for synchronous NFS
exports has been improved to give much better performance, and performance
for the fsync, fdatasync and sync system calls has been improved slightly.
A bug when resizing extremely busy filesystems has been fixed, which required
extensive modification to the data structure used for looking up the
per-allocation group data.  Last but not least there was a steady flow of
minor bug fixes and cleanups, leading to the following diffstat from
2.6.33 to 2.6.34:

Meanwhile active development aimed at 2.6.35 merge progressed.  The
major feature for this window is the merge of the delayed logging code,
which adds a new logging mode that dramatically reduces the bandwidth
required for log I/O.  See the documentation [1] for details.  Testers
for this new code are welcome.

In userland xfsprogs saw the long awaited 3.1.2 release, which can be
considered a bug fix release for xfs_repair, xfs_fsr and mkfs.xfs.  After
the release a few more fixes were merged into the development tree.
The xfstests package saw various new tests, including many tests to
exercise the quota code, and a few fixes to existing tests.

[1]
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/filesystems/xfs-delayed-logging-design.txt;h=96d0df28bed323d5596fc051b0ffb96ed8e3c8df;hb=HEAD