Re: xfsprogs/libhandle : How to get the handle for a symbolic link ?

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfsprogs/libhandle : How to get the handle for a symbolic link ?
From: DENIEL Philippe <philippe.deniel@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 09:20:31 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Dave,

In fact, path_to_handle does not do the work correctly. Its code is this (extract from xfsprogs-3.0.3 sources) :

   int
   path_to_handle(
           char            *path,          /* input,  path to convert */
           void            **hanp,         /* output, pointer to data */
           size_t          *hlen)          /* output, size of returned
   data */
   {
           int             fd;
           int             result;
           comarg_t        obj;

           fd = open(path, O_RDONLY);
           if (fd < 0)
                   return -1;

           obj.path = path;
           result = obj_to_handle(path, fd, XFS_IOC_PATH_TO_HANDLE,
                                   obj, hanp, hlen);
           close(fd);
           return result;
   }

As you see, it performs a open at the beginning, which will results in opening the file pointed by the symlink or returns ENOENT if the path "inside" the symlink does not exist. I tried using open with O_NOFOLLOW option, but it changed nothing, I got ELOOP when opening the file (which is a regular behavior so far).
Any other ideas ?

   Philippe