Re: puzzling error: XenServer, LVM and XFS

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: puzzling error: XenServer, LVM and XFS
From: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 10:55:43 +0200
On Donnerstag, 27. Mai 2010 Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> This looks like the Xen block device code is buggy and doesn't handle
> the I/O pattern XFS throws at it.  A sector 0 error during mount
>  usually is the superblock barrier test write.  To verify that
>  assumptions try mounting the XFS filesystems with -o nobarrier and
>  see if it goes away.  Note that this is only for testing, and I
>  would not recommend it for production use.  If it makes the error go
>  away please file a bug with the Xen guys to fix their barrier
>  support by either implementing it properly or not advertizing it.

You're right! As this does not happen with normal partitions but only
LVM volumes, there must be some problem in the combination of XenServer,
LVM and XFS.
There is nothing I can do to report this to Citrix, at least I didn't
find a bug report facility for that, so it won't be fixed but now we
know it.
This was XenServer 5.5

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,