Re: xfsdump -- not enough memory to dump attributes? w/>20G free -- how

To: "Linda A. Walsh" <xfs@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfsdump -- not enough memory to dump attributes? w/>20G free -- how much does it need?
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 12:42:44 -0400
Cc: xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 06:09:27AM -0700, Linda A. Walsh wrote:
> I've seen the problem in the dump below and was wondering what could
> possibly cause this -- because
> shows loads of free memory (>20G)...  how much memory do non-root
> attributes take to dump?

The error comes directly from the libhandle listing routine, which
is a straight forward wrapper around the kernel syscall in current
xfsprogs.

What xfsprogs version are you using?  I noticed your xfsdump is
rather old, so making sure you have recent XFS userspace and
possibly also the kernel would help debugging this.

Also can you check using strace if the ENOMEM comes directly from
the attr_list_by_handle ioctl?