Re: open_by_handle on a file ?

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: open_by_handle on a file ?
From: DENIEL Philippe <philippe.deniel@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 10:44:47 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Thank you Dave, you were definitely right. I used the XFS mount point as the argument to path_to_fshandle and it now woks perfectly. :-) This leads me to another question : now that I can convert a path to fhandle and use it to open a file or a directory, I can use getdents and the ATFILE_SOURCE functions (mkdirat, linkat, ....) to implement the NFS logic (I just have to "open_by_handle" to get the fs to the related fs object and operate on it). The idea behind this is implementing a NFS server in Userspace with XFS specific capabilites. In fact, the NFS on which a minor issue remains is LOOKUP (and it could become a major issue since LOOKUP is called very often). To lookup on an object knowing its parent directory's handle and its name, I can perform an "openat" followed by a xfs related "fd_to_handle" and close the fd once the operation is done. But it seems a bit "heavy" to me. Is there another (lighter) way of getting the handle to an object knowing its name and parent directory (may be by a call to xfsctl ?).

 Regards,

   Philippe