Re: xfs_repair memory usage and stopping on "Traversing filesystem..."

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs_repair memory usage and stopping on "Traversing filesystem..."
From: Colin Wilson <cwilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 16:30:30 -0400
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
I got some down time this weekend and tried to run another xfs_repair with the latest(3.1.2) version of XFS tools.  This time the check ran much slower than it had before and used much more swap.  My system has 12GB of ram in it right now and 16GB of swap space, do you guys have any rule of thumb to use to figure out how much memory the system should need?  I am thinking adding more memory is the only way to fix my problem as it is now since its just slowness.  I don't remember how much swap it ended up using but the process ran until I killed it to bring the file system back on line without running out of total memory.

This may not be the biggest problem in the world but I tried to take a metadata dump just incase that was helpful and the process ran till a certain point and then hung with xfs_db using 100% of one of my cores.  I've confirmed the same outcome three runs in a row.  The output of xfs_metadump was:

:~# xfs_metadump -gw /dev/mapper/sangroup-sandisk ./metadata.dump
Copied 8192 of 1732067904 inodes (0 of 821 AGs)
xfs_metadump: suspicious count 1152 in bmap extent 89 in dir2 ino 12743
xfs_metadump: suspicious count 1455 in bmap extent 135 in dir2 ino 12743
xfs_metadump: suspicious count 1074 in bmap extent 2 in dir2 ino 12743
Copied 8151232 of 1732067904 inodes (0 of 821 AGs)

/usr/sbin/xfs_metadump: line 31:  5363 Terminated              xfs_db$DBOPTS -F -i -p xfs_metadump -c "metadump$OPTS $2" $1

The process would hang at "Copied 8151232 of 1732067904 inodes (0 of 821 AGs)" and the rest of the output was me killing the xfs_db process.  Thanks for all the help.

--Colin

Colin Wilson
Linux Systems Administrator