Re: noatime,nodiratime?

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: noatime,nodiratime?
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 18:46:33 -0500
Eric Sandeen put forth on 5/19/2010 2:50 PM:

> xfs_info actually calls xfs_growfs -n, and it's only reporting on-disk
> geometry.  I kind of doubt that'll change.  If you want to see mount
> options, /proc/mounts is the place ... but then we don't show the
> defaults ;)  I wonder if we should change that and be explicit about
> every option in /proc/mounts *shrug*

IMHO the option values should be listed, whether they are the defaults or
user defined.  XFS may be breaking convention by doing so, as it appears
EXT2 (and probably 3/4, and other filesystems) behave the same as XFS
currently does--no display of default settings, except rw.

> It's so hard to keep google up to date ;)

Add the information to the FAQ and it'll show up in Google indexes in short
order, assuming you allow robots to crawl xfs.org, which IIRC, you do.

> /proc/mounts shows all mount options which were set differently from
> defaults.

Yes.  It would be nice to see the settings regardless of default or user
defined.  In the absence of, or in addition to this, could we get a
consistent (default) for each setting in XFS man mount?  For example,
barrier is listed but we're not told if it's the default.  nobarrier isn't
even in the man page, but it's on the wiki FAQ.  The wiki FAQ tells us that
barrier is the default.  I'm referring to the man page that comes with
Debian 5.0.  The current man page may be updated to reflect some of these
things, though I've not read it yet.

Sorry if I seem nit-picky.  I've spent many hours trying to hunt down some
of this information and it's been a frustrating process.  XFS rocks.
Currently, from here, the docs don't rock yet. :(

--
Stan