Re: noatime,nodiratime?

To: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: noatime,nodiratime?
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 14:50:29 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 05/19/2010 02:25 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Any chance xfs_info could be updated to output the information we're
> discussing, including spitting out the XFS specific mount options that are
> currently active at the time of running xfs_info?

xfs_info actually calls xfs_growfs -n, and it's only reporting on-disk
geometry.  I kind of doubt that'll change.  If you want to see mount
options, /proc/mounts is the place ... but then we don't show the
defaults ;)  I wonder if we should change that and be explicit about
every option in /proc/mounts *shrug*

> There seems to be much
> confusion in the community due to lack of accurate information being
> available.  Google for "XFS performance" and you'll see
> "noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8" mentioned consistently from early 2000's to
> the present as a performance enhancer.

It's so hard to keep google up to date ;)

> If what you say is true, on my 2.6.32.9 system, I actually decreased logbufs
> from 8 to 4 half an hour ago, instead of increasing it from 2 to 4, as man
> lead me to believe I was doing.  Do any of the xfs tools output the XFS
> specific active mount options allowing an op to confirm changes?  As someone
> else stated it would be nice to be able to see these parameter values.  As
> is, AFAICT, there's no way to confirm these parameter values.

/proc/mounts shows all mount options which were set differently from
defaults.

-Eric