Re: noatime,nodiratime?

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: noatime,nodiratime?
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 13:00:05 -0500
Nicolas KOWALSKI put forth on 5/19/2010 12:33 PM:
> Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> Need a little education here.  I have a general understanding of what the
>> inode access timestamps "are" but I have no idea what, if any, applications
>> make use of these access times.  I see posts all over Google land saying to
>> use "noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8" for XFS mount options to increase
>> performance.
>
> BTW, about the mount options for XFS, is there a way to check for the
> default values (things like logbsize, logbufs, something else)?
>
> I used to have noatime,logbufs=8,logbsize=256k on my fileserver, not
> sure if these are still necessary.

Yes, the defaults for each parameter are in your mount man page.
logbsize=256K is higher than the default, which is 32K for any system with
over 32MB RAM.  logbufs=8 will be the default if your blocksize is 64K.  If
your blocksize is 4K you'll get logbufs=2 by default.  This is all in the
XFS section of man mount.

--
Stan