Re: [GIT] Delayed Logging V3

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [GIT] Delayed Logging V3
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 21:44:24 +1000
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 06:17:33AM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 11:50:42AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > The new cleanups added in this version mean it touche?? more files
> > that the previous versions, but overall it should still be simpler
> > to review because I've collapsed many of the intermediate patches
> > into one "Introduce delayed logging core code" commit.
>
> Thanks.  Btw, a little procedural comment - you include the V2 markers
> and changelogs in the commit message.  Normal procedure is to have
> them below the -- or what it is marker with the diffstat so that they
> only get picked up in the mail and not the final commits, and no V2 in
> the subject line at all.

Yeah, That's typical. The problem is that guilt seems to kill
anything I add to the patch headers below a "---" separator.  Hence
if i don't put it the in commit message it doesn't stick as I rebase
my working branches, and hence doesn't get included in the
patchbombs I send direct from the repository.

For stuff that is in a series that I'm tracking in a separate branch I
can probably just keep versioning changes in the series header (the
patch 0/N message), but for individual patches it's a bit harder.
I'll see what I can do to track this more easily in my workflow.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner