Re: Re: Attempt to Access Beyond End of Device

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Re: Attempt to Access Beyond End of Device
From: willis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 16:20:23 -0400
Federico Sevilla III wrote:
"It wasn't an XFS-centric problem, after all"

Adding Federico's comment... Some Adadptec Controller firmware versions will
pass incorrect device parameters to the linux kernel. The kernel log output
misled me to believe is was a corrupt filesystem or partition map, however it
was just an adaptec bug.

Adaptac has a fix procedure for this at:
http://ask.adaptec.com/scripts/adaptec_tic.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=16914

Below is the my kernel's dmesg output. After following Adaptec's procedure, the
errors went away and I was able to mount the filesystem and see all of my
existing data.
-----
mount: /dev/sda: can't read superblock
Mount Error at /dev/sdj. Is filesystem realtime? Need a File System?
attempt to access beyond end of device
sda: rw=0, want=YYYY, limit=XXXX
I/O error in filesystem ("sda") meta-data dev sdj block 0xZZZZ
("xfs_read_buf") error 5 buf count 512
XFS: size check 2 failed
-----

Regards,

Michael Willis

-- Eric Sandeen wrote :
Federico Sevilla III wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've set up Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 "Etch" on an IBM x3400 machine with
> two 73.4GB SAS hard drives in hardware RAID 1 with a battery-backed
> cache. We are using the stock Debian 2.6.18-4-686 kernel.

can you send along the results of:

        # xfs_db -r -c "sb 0" -c "print" /dev/sda8?

and
        # cat /proc/partitions

... and does the hardware raid have a funky sector size?

-Eric

--
This message was sent on behalf of willis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx at openSubscriber.com
http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx/7550412.html