Re: xfs_fsr question for improvement

To: pg_xf2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Grandi)
Subject: Re: xfs_fsr question for improvement
From: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:02:09 +0200
Cc: Linux XFS <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Le Sun, 25 Apr 2010 12:17:24 +0100 vous écriviez:

> > my test VMware server (performance dropped down to abysmal
> > level until I set up a daily xfs_fsr cron job),
>
> That should not be the case unless you are using very sparse
> VM image files, in which case you get what you pay for.

This is a development and test VM Ware server, so it hosts lots ( 100
or so) of test VM with sparse image files (when you start a VM to host
a quick test, you don't want to spend 15 minutes initializing the
drives).

> > and a write-intensive video server.
>
> That also should not be the case unless your applications write
> strategy is wrong and you get extremely interleaved streams, in
> which case you get what you paid for the application programmer.

The application write strategy is as simple as possible; several
different machines unaware of every other write huge media files to a
samba share. I don't know how it could be worse, however it could
hardly be enhanced in any way.