Re: 2.6.34-rc3: simple du (on a big xfs tree) triggers oom killer [bisec

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 2.6.34-rc3: simple du (on a big xfs tree) triggers oom killer [bisected: 57817c68229984818fea9e614d6f95249c3fb098]
From: "Hans-Peter Jansen" <hpj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:44:22 +0200
Cc: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, opensuse-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>, Nick Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxx>
On Tuesday 13 April 2010, 11:42:33 Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 April 2010, 11:18:23 Dave Chinner wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:50:35AM +0200, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> > > Dave, may I ask you kindly for briefly elaborating on the worst
> > > consequences of just reverting this hunk, as I've done before?
> >
> > Well, given that is the new shrinker code generating the warnings,
> > reverting/removing that hunk will render the patch useless :0
>
> Excuse me, I didn't express myself well. I'm after the consequences of
> applying the revert, that I posted a few messages above.
>
> > I'll get you a working 2.6.33 patch tomorrow - it's dinner time
> > now....
>
> Cool, thanks.

Obviously and not totally unexpected, really fixing this is going to take
more time.

FYI, 2.6.33.2 is still affected from this issue.

Greg, you might search for a server using xfs filesystems and and a i586
kernel >= 2.6.33, (2.6.32.11 of SLE11-SP1 will serve as well), log in as an
ordinary user, do a "du" on /usr, and wait for the other users screaming...

BTW, all affected kernels, available from
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/frispete: have the
offending patch reverted (see subject), do run fine for me (on this
aspect).

Will you guys pass by another round of stable fixes without doing anything
on this issue?

Dave, this is why I'm kindly asking you: what might be the worst
consequences, if we just do the revert for now (at least for 2.6.33), until
you and Nick came to a final decision on how to solve this issue in the
future.

Just a brief note would be fine.

Cheers,
Pete