Re: power failure causes files loss

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: power failure causes files loss
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 17:25:41 -0500
adamantzj put forth on 4/23/2010 6:28 AM:

> Hello,
>
>      I’m writing data on a server in my company, but power cut suddenly. I
> had to restart the machine, then I found that many files in the working
> directory had been lost. I made some tries with xfs_repair and it didn't
> repair my corrupted file.
>
> What are the reasons caused this problem? I would like to know is what can I
> do to resolve this problem? Is XFS able to recover my file with its right
> content, at least a consistent content?
>
>      I'm running a 2.6.24 kernel with xfsprogs-3.1.1, and the operating
> system is RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Server (64-bit).
>
>      Do you know if this problem has often been encountered, there is a way
> to proceed?
>
> Thank you !
>
> Adamant

XFS isn't the cause of your problem.  Running without a proper UPS is the
cause of your problem.  Fix the cause of your problem by purchasing a
properly sized and instrumented/monitored UPS.  YOU CANNOT rely on your OS
or filesystem driver to prevent data loss due to power loss, or to properly
recover from such unexpected power loss if/when it occurs.  This is why you
absolutely need to eliminate the possibility of unexpected power loss.  This
is the sole purpose for the existence of companies such as APC, Liebert,
TrippLite and others.

I'd have thought by 2010 that the entire IT cadre worldwide would already be
educated on proper power backup planning and procedures.  I guess not.

Acquire a proper UPS and configure it properly, specifically meaning
monitoring and alerts which will allow for performing a proper shutdown
during an extended outage, and your problems will disappear.

--
Stan