Re: inode parent pointer attributes

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: inode parent pointer attributes
From: Roger Willcocks <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 15:50:29 +0100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 23 Apr 2010, at 14:00, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 12:07:08PM +0100, Roger Willcocks wrote:
Hi folks,

Commit 6d73cf133c5477f7038577bfeda603ce9946f8cb reintroduced the
XFS_SB_VERSION2_PARENTBIT in the kernel headers, which is described
in the xfs filesystem structure document as 'All inodes must have an
extended attribute that points back to its parent inode'.

There's currently (afaict) no Linux kernel implementation of this. But it's something I would find very useful for a filesystem extension I'm
working on.

Work on the Linux port of this feature stopped when SGI closed the
Melbourne engineering office where people were working on it.
Fortunately SGI did publish the latest development state of it for
others to continue.  I've attached my local copy in case you're
interested on finishing this.

Thanks Christoph, I'll take a look.