inode parent pointer attributes

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: inode parent pointer attributes
From: Roger Willcocks <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:07:08 +0100
Hi folks,

Commit 6d73cf133c5477f7038577bfeda603ce9946f8cb reintroduced the
XFS_SB_VERSION2_PARENTBIT in the kernel headers, which is described
in the xfs filesystem structure document as 'All inodes must have an
extended attribute that points back to its parent inode'.

There's currently (afaict) no Linux kernel implementation of this. But
it's something I would find very useful for a filesystem extension I'm
working on.

I'm quite happy to add the necessary code to maintain parent attributes
myself, borrowing from the posix acl code, but it would make sense to
make it compatible with the original - seemingly undocumented -
attribute names and encoding scheme.

So my questions are: is this something that's being worked on already,
and/or is there any information about the corresponding extended
attributes?

--
Roger