Re: XFS hang during xfs_fsr run

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS hang during xfs_fsr run
From: Michael Weissenbacher <mw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 15:20:39 +0100
Cc: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Christoph/Dave!
Also when you next rebuilt the kernel please make sure to include
CONFIG_KALLSYMS in the configuration, possibly CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL too.
This will help greatly with decoding any kind of warning / oops.
Thanks for this information. Unfortunately my current kernel was built without CONFIG_KALLSYMS. I'm now recompiling with CONFIG_KALLSYMS and CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL set. I reckon that my old traces can't be ksymoops'ed even if i enable that kernel option now? I will see if i can get a fresh trace then (even though i hope it won't happen again).

Was there anything else in the logs prior to the oops messages
that might indicate errors were occurring?
Unfortunately everything in the logs is dandy until the error happens. It seems that xfs_fsr randomly stops at some files and then locks up the whole /var partition. I searched for the inode numbers where xfs_fsr stopped and one time it was "/var/log/xfs_fsr.log" and the other time it was "/var/spool/imap/x/user/xxxx/cyrus.cache" (username obfuscated). Whats's interesting is that i have the no-defrag flag set on the whole /var/log directory and still it seemed to hang on that log file.

cheers,
Michael