Re: 4k sector sizes

To: "Walter R. Fletcher" <fletcher@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 4k sector sizes
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 14:41:21 -0600
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Walter R. Fletcher wrote:

> Western Digital has announced hard drives that will
> have 4K sized sectors instead of 512 bytes.  I'm sure
> other manufacturers will do so too...
>
> I wonder about potential effects on performance one
> might see re: xfs with a 4k block size and the WD hard
> drives with the 4k sectors.  Is this a valid question?
>
> Just a curious (xfs-using) fly on the wall...

Totally valid question; by and large, XFS should detect
this and cope just fine.  There may be one hole where
if you manually specify a block size < 4k at mkfs time,
it will continue without complaint, when in fact this
may be sub-optimal for the drive.

A lot of work has been done upstream and in Fedora,
at least, to be sure that partitioning and mkfs tools
can and do query the block device for this (and other)
information, to be sure that the results are well-aligned
and efficient.

Recent userspace & kernel is needed for all this to work
nicely together, though.

-Eric