Re: Filesystem corrupted: "Sorry, could not find valid secondary superbl

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Filesystem corrupted: "Sorry, could not find valid secondary superblock"
From: Nicolas Stransky <nico@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:06:48 -0500
Sender: news <news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 1/29/10 10:38 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> xfs_repair needs to be smarter about this; I at least wish it'd say
> -why- the candidate was not valid.
>
> Can you include the whole repair output?  Then maybe we can direct
> you to some xfs_db jujitsu to examine the fs.
>
> Trying newer xfsprogs would not be a -bad- idea...
>
> -Eric

The output is as follows:

# xfs_repair /dev/sda
Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
bad primary superblock - bad magic number !!!

attempting to find secondary superblock...
found candidate secondary superblock...
unable to verify superblock, continuing...
found candidate secondary superblock...
unable to verify superblock, continuing...
[The previous one repeats hundreds of times over many hours]
Sorry, could not find valid secondary superblock
Exiting now.

I am trying right now xfsprogs 3.1.0 from Debian testing, will see what
it gives...

Thanks!
NS