Re: Obsolete config in kernel build system (XFS_TRACE)

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Obsolete config in kernel build system (XFS_TRACE)
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 07:19:04 -0500
Cc: Christoph Egger <siccegge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs-masters@xxxxxxxxxxx, Reinhard.Tartler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 09:46:26AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> Christoph's conversion to use the kernel trace infrastructure is
> a work in progress. It's no small task - he's converted around 220
> trace points points so far.
>
> However, the btree tracing code has not been converted yet. IIRC
> this is because the kernel trace code didn't have the required
> infrastructure at the time of initial conversion. Hence the old code
> has not yet been completely removed because the conversion is not
> yet complete.  It will go away when the conversion is completed.

The btree ones are rather difficult because it will require attaching
difference events to a single tracepoint and filter on which one
we want, so it may take a bit of time.

The existing xfs_btree_trace.c won't be much use for that and if we
really need it we can look at it in git history.

Christoph, can you send a properly signed off patch to kill
xfs_btree_trace.c and and the #ifdef XFS_BTREE_TRACE code in
xfs_btree_trace.h?