Re: [TuxOnIce-devel] Latest updates.

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TuxOnIce-devel] Latest updates.
From: Nathan Scott <nscott@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:05:18 +1100 (EST)
Cc: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, TuxOnIce Devel List <tuxonice-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
[Looks like tuxonice is a subscriber-only list...]

----- "Dave Chinner" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 02:09:14PM +1100, Nathan Scott wrote:
> > >
> Agreed that it is trivial to implement but there are still some
> definite traps - like the fact the sb change transaction may be
> logged
> immediately but the physical superblock may not get written for some
> time after the mount.

*nod* ... it will be written when unmounted though...

> Really it comes down to the interface used to read the mount time
> fromt eh superblock at suspend and resume - can anyone tell me what
> that is or point me at the code?

(not me!)

> Personally I don't see why this needs to be in the superblock - an
> extended attribute on the root directory of the root filesystem that
> is written:

Yeah, that was my first thought too, but I suspect they want to be
able to query this when the filesystem is unmounted; in which case
the interface is probably "read a fs-specific magic spot ondisk".
For this not-mounted query, the EA route would be incredibly painful.

cheers.

--
Nathan