Re: lockdep: inconsistent lock state

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: lockdep: inconsistent lock state
From: Christian Kujau <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 14:01:07 -0800 (PST)
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, LKML <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 at 08:27, Dave Chinner wrote:
> from kswapd inverts lock ordering and so we get this report. This
> case has never been a deadlock case because an inode in reclaim
> cannot be referenced by any other path, so once again it is a
> false positive....

OK, thanks for confirming this. I've only seen this during
bonnie++ tests so far, and it's always reproducible there, but
I've not seen it during "normal use". It's still scary though. Just
checked, opensuse and fedora have CONFIG_LOCKDEP_SUPPORT=y but no
related DEBUG options set, so it probably won't ever show up for
the general public.

Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #278:

The Dilithium Crystals need to be rotated.