Re: please help me

To: rajkumar <rajkumar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: please help me
From: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 11:48:36 +0100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Le Mon, 21 Dec 2009 14:45:49 +0530
rajkumar <rajkumar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> écrivait:

> i have scientific linux 4.7 server with kernel 2.6.9.-78.ELsmp and
> installed the xfs rpms for supporting xfs filesystem.Now created  a
> volume of 300TB plz tell me how to format.please give commands how to
> format 300TB using xfs filesystem.

Are you running a 64 bits kernel? A 32 bits kernel won't be able to use
a filesystem bigger than 16 TB.

You need to install the xfs-progs too, to have mkfs.xfs.

To format a 300TB xfs, basically just do

mkfs.xfs /dev/whatever

However you'd better configure your filesystem to match the underlying
device. You must be using some sort of RAID array; you should do it
this way:

mkfs.xfs -d su=<value>,sw=<numberofdataDisks> /dev/whatever

Where <value> is the RAID array stripe size (in bytes, or append a k or
m accordingly) and <sw> the number of data disks (removing parity and
spare drives from the total).