Re: XFS and DPX files

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS and DPX files
From: Michael Weissenbacher <mw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:49:51 +0100
Hi!

> I've been under the impression that "modern disks" (TM), at minimum the
> server-type products, are supposed to re-use the remaining spin-energy
> for generating the required power and thus writing the content of their
> on-disk write cache to the disks.

Nope, they don't. All disks do is use the remaining spin energy to
mechanically park the disk heads. Server-grade disks should always ship with
their drive write cache turned off per default.
The only thing possible imho would be a small ssd on disk for the cache, but
no disk manufacturer does this either.

cya,
  Michael