Re: can xfs_repair guarantee a complete clean filesystem?

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: can xfs_repair guarantee a complete clean filesystem?
From: hank peng <pengxihan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 12:37:42 +0800
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=aNRPykzaJCrlBduvDWdxnP8OBBswZgYxDh/bYAofUbI=; b=Uqe3DjflT+3GW65jHLEBM/EVRVBlfMwoSU8vXpTDeGkygqYmACz9wBQ6+fhJ56JD7S SmdzNdjFF74SL9/e9xGM6N0Vmh7eyPrRfbG5VLjlZhuzqHk+X2FW3vhmRnkCSIiYabMz kcxYjhSZh+m4azSCPkbaMXaGeYzJJw1I83/rs=
2009/12/1 Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> hank peng wrote:
>> When using xfs_repair, I want my XFS filesystem complete clean and
>> continue to work even if some files lost. Becase we use XFS in low-end
>> NAS box, customers want a tool to repair the filesystem when it has
>> problem and they allow some files be lost and don't want the whole
>> system to stop.
>> So, I wonder if xfs_repair or some other tools can satisfy this funciton?
>>

> Yes, that is exactly its purpose (any potential bugs notwithstanding...)

Thanks for your reply.
Is there some points I should notice about when using xfs_repair? I
used to encounter some cases in which xfs_repair complete successfully
but some errors like "Corrupt in memory detected" occured when the
filesytem is put into online for short time.
Should I reboot the machine and use xfs_repair before the damaged
filesystem is used, or some other options I should use?
In addition, I googled some information and found that some people say
xfs_check should be used before xfs_repair, is it right?

--
The simplest is not all best but the best is surely the simplest!