Re: XFS & LVM: unexpected cp when issuing mv

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS & LVM: unexpected cp when issuing mv
From: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:42:20 +0100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Montag, 30. November 2009 Dave Chinner wrote:
> > 1) why this happens
>
> It happens if you move from one project directory heirarchy to
> another - rename is not allowed across project quota boundaries as
> the moved data has to be correctly attributed to the new project.
> Hence it causes a mv to do a copy/unlink by returning a EXDEV error
> to the rename.
>
> > 2) how I can prevent this?
>
> You can't if you are moving from one project to another. If you
> move within the project heirarchy, then it will be a rename as per
> normal.

Shit. So I have to turn project quotas off. I can't accept the extra
load for a simple move, as there are tons of data. Maybe the projet code
could be redesigned to allow a simple move? Is it that complicated?

If I change from project to user quota - I guess the same would still
happen? If so, I have to drop quota support, and build a script to check
quotas manually. It's a pity. :-(

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net                  Key-ID: 1C1209B4