Re: XFS & LVM: unexpected cp when issuing mv

To: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS & LVM: unexpected cp when issuing mv
From: Asdo <asdo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 15:41:31 +0100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Please paste the output of the following 2 commands:

df  /disks/sharestore/upload/

df  /disks/sharestore/download/

Michael Monnerie wrote:
I have an unexpected behaviour and I hope someone can explain me the
reasons:

This is an openSUSE 11.2 virtual machine within XENserver. XENserver can
only create 2TB disks, but I needed more. So I create 2x 2TB disks for
that VM. These disks have no partitions, but are straight LVM:
# pvscan
  PV /dev/xvdb   VG sharestore   lvm2 [1,95 TB / 0    free]
  PV /dev/xvdc   VG sharestore   lvm2 [1,95 TB / 0    free]
  Total: 2 [3,91 TB] / in use: 2 [3,91 TB] / in no VG: 0 [0   ]

I created one VG, and then one LV:
# vgscan
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "sharestore" using metadata type lvm2
# lvscan
  ACTIVE            '/dev/sharestore/public' [3,91 TB] inherit

On that LV, I created an XFS filesystem, mounted from /etc/fstab:
/dev/sharestore/public /disks/sharestore  xfs
noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8,logbsize=256k,attr2,nobarrier,largeio,swalloc,inode64,prjquota

Now when I move from one dir to another, example
mv /disks/sharestore/upload/* /disks/sharestore/download/

within some dirs it's a simple mv where only metadata is moved, but with
some dirs it's a physical cp+rm of the files. You can easily see that by
the speed of the mv, plus with iostat:
Device:         rrqm/s   wrqm/s     r/s     w/s    rkB/s    wkB/s avgrq-
sz avgqu-sz   await  svctm  %util
xvdb              0,00     0,00    0,00  647,31     0,00 28424,75
87,82    18,46   29,71   0,24  15,65
xvdc              0,00     0,40  631,14    2,40 26928,54    76,65
85,25     5,56    8,69   1,56  98,84

Until now I believed that a mv within one filesystem is always just a
metadata mv. But it seems I found a case now where even within the same
filesystem a physical cp+rm is done. Can someone explain me

1) why this happens
2) how I can prevent this?

We have files >5G there, often 20G or more, so a mv should just be a
metadata mv, everything else is inacceptable.
Could it be the way I created the VG + LV, that there's a cp instead mv?
How could I create all that to get a normal behaviour?

Maybe like this?:
1) create VG only on one disk
2) create LV on that disk
3) create XFS