Re: XFS, NFS and inode64 on 2.6.27

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS, NFS and inode64 on 2.6.27
From: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:17:57 +0100
Cc: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Samstag, 21. November 2009 Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> So your NFS exports are not the roots of their respsective
>  filesystems?

That's the way it works with NFSv4. You create an NFS root dir with a
special entry in /etc/exports:
/nfsserver 10.0.0.0/8(fsid=0,rw,insecure,no_subtree_check,crossmnt)

and if you want other parts exported, create a dir there and mount it:
mkdir /nfsserver/data
mount --bind /mydata /nfsserver/data

This just takes the inodes from there and creates something like a view
into this dir. From the client, you

mount -t nfs4 server:/data /serverdata
and you get the /nfsserver/data mounted there.

>  This means NFSD uses non-standard filesystem IDs in the
>  filehandles which have to encode the inode number of the export
>  root.  Your best option is to simplify switch to exporting a whole
>  filesystem,

That's how it worked until NFSv3. I tried that also, didn't work either.
The whole thing worked before I reinstalled it (this server now runs
virtualized within XENserver), and maybe that made some subdirs have
inodes > 32bit.

>  alternatively you can try making sure NFSD uses the
>  16byte wide UUID style export.

How'd I do that?

>  Note thast either way will only work
>  with a 64bit kernel as the fs has no say in encoding the filesystem
>  part of the handle and ino_t is always 32bit on 32bit platforms.
>  This will also affect any other filesystem with 64bit inode numbers.

Not my problem, everything 64bit here. I use the kernel-nfsd, and that's
why I was wondering to have this problem.

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net                  Key-ID: 1C1209B4