Re: Improving XFS desktop performance?

To: Pedro Ribeiro <pedrib@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Improving XFS desktop performance?
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 23:29:26 -0600
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been using XFS since 2007 and I although I'm quite happy with its
> performance, I am always looking at ways to improve it.
> My usage is a regular desktop machine, for software development and
> web browsing.
> The main performance bottleneck I have is LUKS :-) However, I really
> like my data encrypted, so dissing it is not an option. Actually, I'm
> the xfs improvements discussed below I was able to get the performance
> hit to something like 10% - negligible for me.
>
> So what I do is specify a 128m log on filesystem creation:
> mkfs.xfs -l size=128m /dev/mapper/target
>
> And on /etc/fstab mount it as;
> /dev/mapper/target      noatime,logbufs=8,logbsize=256k

FWIW, 8 logbufs is default already.

> After the above, my delete speed improved drastically.
>
> Searching around the net I was able to find that using "lazy-count=1"
> on mkfs would give a performance increase - how much would that be,
> enough for me to do a full backup, format with that option + 128m log
> and then restore all again?

You should be able to use xfs_admin to turn it on; see the man page
for that.

> And anything else you recommend?

In general, the defaults are optimal for generic use; unless you have
a specific use case that is suffering, it's hard to make recommendations
beyond the defaults....

...although we do keep talking about making lazy sb counters default.

-Eric