Re: kernel crash with damaged XFS

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: kernel crash with damaged XFS
From: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 08:37:20 +0100
On Freitag 06 November 2009 Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > I had that during the last days on my system. It kept on running
> > despite
> > this error. I xfs_repair'ed the fs again and now it's working.
> > This is the same server I talked about with Eric last time, where
> > he improved xfs_repair and that repaired my fs. I had to run
> > xfs_repair several times again until all errors were solved,
> > and now nothing is reported anymore.
> > The server had no crash or whatever since the last repair, so I
> > wonder where these corruptions come from.
> >
> > Nov  2 00:01:12 orion.i.zmi.at kernel: Filesystem "dm-0": corrupt
> > inode 3858839593 ((a)extents = 7).  Unmount and run xfs_repair.
>
> Just FWIW this is not a crash, it is XFS properly handling
> corrruption   it encountered.  The corruption could be due to a bug
> in XFS or other code, or a hardware problem.  Does repair fix it this
> time?

Yes Eric, that's what I wrote but I see it can be misinterpreted as
belonging to the old case. I meant the actual problem when saying:

I had to run xfs_repair several times again until all errors were
solved, and now nothing is reported anymore. The server had no crash or
whatever since the last repair, so I wonder where these corruptions come
from.

Seems to be time to make a memory check. I have no other idea where the
problem could come from.

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net                  Key-ID: 1C1209B4