Re: xfs_repair breaks; xfs_metadump hangs

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfs_repair breaks; xfs_metadump hangs
From: mill / in-medias-res <mill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 09:57:40 +0100
* Robert Brockway <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [091106 03:28]:
> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, mill / in-medias-res wrote:
>
>> Hello XFS-Community,
>>
>> i have some real trouble with restoring/repairing my two XFS Partion's. These
>> Partion's are on a RAID-5 Array which "was broken". The first xfs_repair run
>> on /dev/sdc1 did restore 80 GB from ca. 300-400 GB. The Problem was that
>> 99,9%
>> of the million files are in lost+found.
>
> Time to invoke the disaster recovery plan and restore from backups?
Yeah, i did had an full backup of /dev/sdc1 one day old. Restoring was no
problem.
The problem is that i don't have any backup from /dev/sdc2. Only 10-20 GB on
DVD's

I have an slower server which serve's the clients, so i can try to get the rest
of the data.
Are there any other working repair tools for xfs ?
> At some point the effort required to recover a badly corrupt FS exceeds
> the loss from simply restoring from a known good backup.
>
> You can still review the corrupt filesystem offline in order to pick up
> lost data, if it is worth doing so.
>
> Rob

Max