Re: xfs_repair breaks; xfs_metadump hangs

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfs_repair breaks; xfs_metadump hangs
From: Robert Brockway <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 21:27:43 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, mill / in-medias-res wrote:

Hello XFS-Community,

i have some real trouble with restoring/repairing my two XFS Partion's. These
Partion's are on a RAID-5 Array which "was broken". The first xfs_repair run
on /dev/sdc1 did restore 80 GB from ca. 300-400 GB. The Problem was that 99,9%
of the million files are in lost+found.

Time to invoke the disaster recovery plan and restore from backups?

At some point the effort required to recover a badly corrupt FS exceeds the loss from simply restoring from a known good backup.

You can still review the corrupt filesystem offline in order to pick up lost data, if it is worth doing so.

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy
http://www.practicalsysadmin.com