Re: XFS and DPX files

To: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS and DPX files
From: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 12:19:20 +0100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Le Mon, 2 Nov 2009 22:58:35 +0100
Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> écrivait:

> Hence my suggestion for turning on the disk write cache just to see
> if it makes a difference.

Unfortunately there isn't any way in the 3Ware controllers to manage
that. Worse, I couldn't get a clear answer from 3Ware support about the
controller policy about drives caches. However from the tests I've done
(pulling the plug on a server while writing) it looks like the 3Ware
uses the disks caches in write-thru mode, however (fortunately now that
many drives come with 32 or 64 MB caches).

Some other SATA/SAS RAID controllers (Areca, LSI and Adaptec) allows to
activate drive write-back cache separately from the controller cache,
though.

Emmanuel Florac     |   Intellique