Re: XFS/driver bug or bad drive?

To: Michael-John Turner <mj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS/driver bug or bad drive?
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 08:24:41 -0500
Cc: David Engel <david@xxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Michael-John Turner wrote:
On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 11:57:04AM -0500, David Engel wrote:
I agree it shouldn't be an xfs bug.  I thought it was strange, though,
that the problem only seemed to show up with xfs on 2.6.30.x.  IO
pattern sensitivity wouldn't surprise me, but I wanted to check all my
bases before giving up on the drive.

Rather curiously, I had exactly the same issue with the same model drive
this past weekend. Debian-patched 2.6.26 kernel, however, though also with
XFS (on top of md/LVM). Interestingly, there were no SMART errors and a
full SMART test passed. The error was triggered by doing a cvs update on my
working copy of the NetBSD source tree - not a large copy, but a
disk-intensive activity.

-mj

Firmware bug? I still think it can't be an xfs problem, and I'm not just trying to be protective of our turf ;)

-Eric