Re: XFS Question

To: Linux XFS <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS Question
From: pg_xf2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Grandi)
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 12:22:16 +0100
> [ ... ]  XFS on my RHEL 5.1 system. [ ... ]  update the system
> to the latest RHEL release(5.4). [ ... ] My question is, I
> will perform the system update, but what will happen to my XFS
> system?

Your XFS system was not part of RHEL and will continue to be so.
It will continue to work.

> Do I simply locate the above three RPM's for the latest kernel
> I am installing and be good to go?

RHEL5.1 and RHEL5.4 are just updates of the same OS, and RH sort
of guarantees binary compatibility between various updates of
the same OS. This actually works in practice as well as in
theory, especially for the kernel (RH slip on other stuff) and
its modules.

RHEL5.4 kernels have an XFS kernel module included, but RH only
supports XFS as an optional "layered product", that is an
additional support license (like GFS, RHCS and others).

If you are using RHEL because you want RH support, that is
probably something you want to look into. RH presumably added
XFS as a layered product precisely because so many customers
like you were using it even if not supported.

Otherwise consider using the new ElRepo repository, or the XFS
packages from CentOS Plus or Scientific Linux (yes, they work
with RHEL too, both kernel modules and userspace modules).