Re: XFS/driver bug or bad drive?

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS/driver bug or bad drive?
From: David Engel <david@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 11:57:04 -0500
On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 07:39:54PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> These are all storage errors, not xfs.  I suppose it could be
> differing IO patterns from one fs or the other that trips it up, but
> nothing above is related to an xfs bug; any xfs problems are in
> response to the above IO errors, maybe a hardware problem or a
> driver problem, not sure - but most likely a hardware issue I think.
> You might point smartctl at the drive and see what it says.

I agree it shouldn't be an xfs bug.  I thought it was strange, though,
that the problem only seemed to show up with xfs on 2.6.30.x.  IO
pattern sensitivity wouldn't surprise me, but I wanted to check all my
bases before giving up on the drive.

Michael Monnerie wrote:
> Yes, that Samsung crap. Of the very few drives we had (the 1TB version),
> all got broken quickly, and we replaced them with Hitachis. It's a pity,
> as they had a nice price, but when they it your data, it's priceless.

I've used mostly Samsung drives for several years.  This particular
750GB model is the only one that I consider a lemon.

David
--
David Engel
david@xxxxxxxxxx