Re: zero size file after power failure with kernel 2.6.30.5

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: zero size file after power failure with kernel 2.6.30.5
From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 22:05:56 +0200
Am Samstag 29 August 2009 schrieb Michael Monnerie:
> I have /home mounted like this:
> /dev/sda3 on /disks/work1 type xfs
> (rw,noatime,logbufs=8,logbsize=256k,attr2,barrier,largeio,swalloc)
>
> Hardware: onboard SATA with a single WD VelociRaptor drive.
>
> My power supply melted and so I had a power fail and a sudden death
> crash.
> ( So please remember: even when you have a UPS, your power can fail ! )

[...]

> But almost is not good enough: Exactly my kmail config file was 0 sized
> - obviously: at least when I started kmail, it started fresh without
>  any accounts or config, but once I exited kmail the config was created
>  with the default values and about 12KB size, while my config has
>  >200KB.

Most likely missing-fsync() issue that still could happen with XFS. Thats
a long discussion ;-).

Try

# KDE Sync
# http://oss.sgi.com/pipermail/xfs/2009-March/040628.html
export KDE_EXTRA_FSYNC=1

This environment variable didn't have any effect with KDE 3 but should work
with recent KDE versions. See also:
http://bugs.kde.org/187172

I switched to Ext4 for my work notebook in the meantime, but my Amarok
laptop is still using XFS. Ext4 skips delayed allocation for certain
cases, AFAIR truncates and renames, since kernel 2.6.30 as Linus and
others urged Theodore T'so to make Ext4 behave nicely with applications.
XFS only does so for truncates and there is a little race still, AFAIK.

In the meantime I tend to agree that the filesystem should play it safe -
POSIX semantics or not. But I did not completely made up my mind yet.

Ciao,