Re: xfs_repair hangs at Phase 6

To: Riku Paananen <riku.paananen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs_repair hangs at Phase 6
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:51:27 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Riku Paananen wrote:
Hello.

I have a 39TB xfs filesystem in a SAN that got corrupted. The reasons for the corruption are unclear. I've been trying to fix it using xfs_repair but the repair operation always hangs at Phase 6 "traversing filesystem ...".

Ok, so strace was stuck?

Can you try again with -P?

If that fails can you try again with -P -o bhashsize=1024 ?

(or so; 1024 is the default, you could double it again if it still hangs)

You might also attach gdb and see where it is.

If increasing the bhashsize fixes it then I probably know what the bug is (though not yet the solution...)

If you want to provide an xfs_metadump image of it from before you repair it, I could test any eventual fix against that.

thanks,
-Eric