Re: xfs data loss

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfs data loss
From: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 11:30:41 +0200
On Sonntag 06 September 2009 Passerone, Daniele wrote:
> Well, a binary file with 5% data loss would simply not work.
> But I have executables on this filesystem, and they run!

Optimist. It just means the part of the binary you run are not random.
Randomness of *all* code paths would have to be checked, which you
probably can't do manually, so binaries are not a good check at all.

Since you didn't change any drives, chances are good that you really
lost very little data.

> a MB-sized tar.gz file, compression of a postscript file,
> uncompressed perfectly and was visualized in a perfect way by
> ghostview.

That's a good test, so you are lucky.

> Moreover, a device died (a different one) yesterday, and in the
> messages I have ...

Is this on the same controller as the other broken disks were? Then this
should be it (or it's cabling, or the backplane, etc.). And you should
immediately shut down the RAID on that controller, as you might loose
data (or the whole RAID) when the controller writes random data. A
broken hardware is the worst thing to have. Replace it, test the new
parts *thouroughly*, and only then start to use the RAID again.

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net                  Key-ID: 1C1209B4