Re: xfs data loss

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfs data loss
From: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 00:14:13 +0200
On Samstag 29 August 2009 Passerone, Daniele wrote:
> But apart from that, it is not as easy to backup 20 TB, so we decided
> to set it as data storage leaving the responsibilty of the backup to
> our users. I do not consider it completely absurd.

Right, if you communicated this to users it's OK.

But really, don't create any RAID with more than 8 data disks.
Performance doesn't increase above that, and the chance that a single
disk dies is already 8x as high as with a single disk.

I wish you luck with your recovery, but please try to split your 20
disks, make it 2x9 disks with a RAID-5, better RAID-6, and connect those
two via RAID-0. So you get a RAID-50 or RAID-60. Take the remaining 2
drives as hot spare. This will protect you at least from drive failures,
and speeds up recreating the RAID when a disk dies.
Try to connect the disks which are in a single RAID-5/6 via the same
controllers, so if a controller dies it's only one RAID-5/6 part that
dies, which will help to make it possible to repair.

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net                  Key-ID: 1C1209B4