zero size file after power failure with kernel 2.6.30.5

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: zero size file after power failure with kernel 2.6.30.5
From: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:02:21 +0200
I have /home mounted like this:
/dev/sda3 on /disks/work1 type xfs
(rw,noatime,logbufs=8,logbsize=256k,attr2,barrier,largeio,swalloc)

Hardware: onboard SATA with a single WD VelociRaptor drive.

My power supply melted and so I had a power fail and a sudden death
crash.
( So please remember: even when you have a UPS, your power can fail ! )

After replacing the part, I had almost no isse with my KDE desktop. In
earlier XFS releases, I constantly lost several config files all
truncated to 0 length or at some point only contained NULLs on such
occasions. So the situation improved a lot.

But almost is not good enough: Exactly my kmail config file was 0 sized
- obviously: at least when I started kmail, it started fresh without any
accounts or config, but once I exited kmail the config was created with
the default values and about 12KB size, while my config has >200KB.

Shouldn't it be that this doesn't happen anymore? I'd love to be in a
position where I really can rely on a crash not trashing any of my files
anymore. I used to have reiserfs previously, and never, not a single
time despite many crashes, did I have such an issue. I'd really be
pleased so see such stability in XFS. I'm using barriers - what else
must I do?

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net                  Key-ID: 1C1209B4