Re: xfs data loss

To: "Passerone, Daniele" <Daniele.Passerone@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs data loss
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:17:39 -0700
Cc: "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Passerone, Daniele wrote:
Due to a power shock, suddenly and without log messages about one half
(5 TB) of the user
directories on /dev/md4 have disappeared.
I presume you mean after a reboot?

No! No reboot at all.

Ok then perhaps I don't know what you mean by "power shock"

The directories were mounted via nfs to all our cluster,
and are of the type
/pool/user

all directories from
/pool/g*

/pool/z*

have disappeared.

On the server as well? Or just clients? -really- no server-side errors in the logs?

Are you sure the storage hardware & the md volume is in ok shape?

Of course NO COMMAND of the kind rm /pool/[g-z]* was issued.

Were the lost directories recently created?  I've never heard of
untouched, existing directories disappearing after a power loss...

Not at all.
Here I am.
Not much to go on here I'm afraid.  SLES10 is an old kernel, but it's
supported by SuSE at least.

Can you use my metadata, or is it useless?

Not yet, still wondering what really happened.

-eric

Thank you!

Daniele