Re: xfs data loss

To: "Passerone, Daniele" <Daniele.Passerone@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs data loss
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:16:53 -0700
Cc: "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Passerone, Daniele wrote:
Dear xfs developers

We have a SUN X4500 with 48 500 GB drives, that we configured under SUSE SLES
10.

Among others, we have 3 RAID5 xfs filesystems, /dev/md4 with 20 units (9.27 TB)
/dev/md5 with 20 units (9.27 TB) and /dev/md6 with 5 units (1.95 TB)

These units are not backed up.

Due to a power shock, suddenly and without log messages about one half (5 TB) of the user directories on /dev/md4 have disappeared.

I presume you mean after a reboot?

Upon reboot, /dev/md6 showed only 3 units, and after a xfs_repair it was again
ok.
/dev/md4 mounted immediately, but always with one half of the directories.

Were the lost directories recently created? I've never heard of untouched, existing directories disappearing after a power loss...

WHat can I do? Any help would be appreciated, I would really be happy to
recover those files...
:)

Not much to go on here I'm afraid. SLES10 is an old kernel, but it's supported by SuSE at least.

-Eric