xfs logbufs default, (also noatime, lazy-count(of partition formatter)..

To: xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: xfs logbufs default, (also noatime, lazy-count(of partition formatter)...32767b v. 32768b...
From: "Linda A. Walsh" <xfs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:25:22 -0700
Is there a reason why logbufs=8 should't become the default?
Isn't it the best choice for most users given today's memory
constraints (or lack thereof?)

I saw a message about xfs parameter tuning and still see the mention to:
'logbufs=8,noatime' having to be specified on every mount.

If the desire is to provide default optimal tuning, maybe a default of logbufs to 8 would be a good idea, and maybe a
mkfs flag to default to 'noatime' and a 64MB internal log
size would be good ideas for *most* users?

How much of problem is defaulting to a 64MB internal log
size when file partitions are measured in the 100GB range?

I'm not sure how much use it is to even remember typing lazy-count=1
on the size partition each time.

One more 'nit', while I think of it...for a 64MB log buffer size,
one should be able to specify 32768b, but last I tried, that gave
a 'too large' error...isn't 32768*4=64MB, not 32767b?

What's really created when I use the 32767b max? 64MB or "64MB-4K"? (maybe it doesn't matter, but if a log process
wrote exactly 16MB chunks, it would be a bit short on the 4th
write..)...

-l