Re: XFS corruption with failover

To: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS corruption with failover
From: Felix Blyakher <felixb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 17:42:56 -0500
Cc: John Quigley <jquigley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, XFS Development <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>

On Aug 13, 2009, at 4:17 PM, Emmanuel Florac wrote:

Le Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:17:22 -0500 vous écriviez:

Any advice or insight into what we're doing wrong would be very much
appreciated.  My apologies in advance for the somewhat off-topic
question.

By killing abruptly the primary server while doing IO, you're probably
pushing the envelope...

I don't think it's pushing too much. XFS was designed to
survive such events.

You may have a somewhat better luck with a
cluster fs, OCFS2 works very well for me usually (GFS is a complete
PITA to setup).

The better option would be to disallow completely write
caching on the client side (because this is probably where it's going
wrong) however I don't know how.

Client's caching can't affect the metadata and the log in particular
operations on the server. Client may indeed loose some data, but
that's completely different issue.

Felix

You can get it to flush extremely
often by playing with  /proc/sys/vm/dirty_expire_centiseconds
and /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs, though. Safer settings
generally imply terrible performance, though, you've been warned.

Ah another thing may be some cache option in the iSCSI target. what
target are you using?