Re: Best design docs for XFS

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Best design docs for XFS
From: John Quigley <jquigley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:27:21 -0500
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, XFS Development <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 05:56:23PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
It's pretty good still, the fundamental design is not substantially
changed; you're more likely to find missing bits than "wrong" bits I think.

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/training/index.html

has more info as well.

The fundamental design is mostly unchanged.  What you might now want to
bother reading of the original documents are:

 dir_design.pdf - the dir code has been completely replaced
 threads.pdf - this is totally IRIX specific
 scaffold.pdf - again mostly IRIX specific
 message.pdf - no idea what this is at all, I never saw traces of this in XFS

Thanks a lot guys, that helps.

For all others there's quite a bit of IRIXism in there.

Ack.

Is there anything specific you're looking for?

In my work, I've just begun to use XFS as the interface into a very large,
virtual storage system, to great effect.  It's my first direct interaction with
the file system, and I've been hugely impressed with its power, speed and
versatility.

The only unresolved problem that we're experiencing has to do with file system
corruption in a failover scenario, and my immediate need in understanding some
of the internals is to wrap my hands around this problem (I may email this list
with details if I can sufficiently explain myself).

A more long-term need we have is for clustering support.  I've read lightly
about CXFS, though it appears to be inactive, or at least not open source.  Has
clustering support been discussed with the members here?  If so, I'd like to
take part in those conversations if there's sufficient interest to engage in
that way.

Thanks very much again.

John Quigley
jquigley.com