Re: Best design docs for XFS

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Best design docs for XFS
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 22:53:56 -0400
Cc: John Quigley <jquigley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, XFS Development <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 05:56:23PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> It's pretty good still, the fundamental design is not substantially
> changed; you're more likely to find missing bits than "wrong" bits I think.
>
> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/training/index.html
>
> has more info as well.

The fundamental design is mostly unchanged.  What you might now want to
bother reading of the original documents are:

 dir_design.pdf - the dir code has been completely replaced
 threads.pdf - this is totally IRIX specific
 scaffold.pdf - again mostly IRIX specific
 message.pdf - no idea what this is at all, I never saw traces of this
 in XFS

For all others there's quite a bit of IRIXism in there.

Is there anything specific you're looking for?