Re: failed assertion related to realtime section

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: failed assertion related to realtime section
From: Roman Kononov <kononov@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 18:07:50 -0500
Sender: news <news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Eric Sandeen wrote:
While realtime should probably work and not oops (!) I'm curious what
your use-case for realtime is?

In my setup I need mostly sequential read/write access to a number of huge files (>1GB) as well as small ones. My 16-disk system, providing 1GB/s of sequential access data rate, chokes when file fragments are smaller than ~32MB. Using 32MB extents of the regular data section helps, but fragmentation still develops. I hope (maybe I am wrong) that the realtime section with its fixed extents eliminates the fragmentation issue.

Roman