Re: XFS filesystem shutting down on linux 2.6.28.10 (xfs_rename)

To: Chris Samuel <csamuel@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS filesystem shutting down on linux 2.6.28.10 (xfs_rename)
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 23:26:49 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Chris Samuel wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I believe we've been hitting the same issue that
> Gabriel Barazer reported in 2.6.28.9 on the 22nd
> of July on our NFS server for our HPC Linux clusters.

> This kernel is built with XFS as a kernel module so I've
> been able to attach the objdump output that Eric Sandeen
> had originally requested from Gabriel.

I'll take a look.  The reason for the objdump was to try to work out
where in xfs_rename we were erroring out, but in your case:

xfs_rename+0x5ac/0x5af

I guess it's the trans_cancel at the very end of the function on the
goto <blah>: error cases.

Is there any chance you could instrument xfs_rename so that for every
goto abort_return and goto error_return you add a printk so we know
which one you hit?

Maybe something like:

printk("line %s error %d\n", __LINE__, error);

just before each goto, with appropriate braces {} sprinkled in as necessary?

I can send a patch if that helps.

Sorry for the brute-force debugging but not at all sure yet what this
may be.

Thanks,
-Eric