Re: Using xfsdump On Linux With IRIX Version 1 FS?

To: Christian Kujau <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Matthias Schniedermeyer <ms@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Using xfsdump On Linux With IRIX Version 1 FS?
From: Sean Elble <elbles@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 20:24:18 -0400
Cc: <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On 7/25/09 5:46 AM, "Christian Kujau" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 at 09:26, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
>>>   # losetup -r /dev/loop0 /path/to/IRIXbackup
>>>   # hexedit /dev/loop0 ...or whatever tool you'll be using.
>>
>> Which has what advantage over directly changing the image?
>
> Sean mentioned the "thrashing of the old disk" and I figured I'd be
> worried not only by that but that the old disk might die anytime soon. So
> I wanted to present an alternative to do the search - I don't know too
> much about his setup, so it's up to him to follow this advice or not.

Well, I ended up dd'ing the old SCSI disk to a file on a spare Linux box I
have laying around for just this sort of purpose.  I then opened the
resulting file up with hexedit, switched to ASCII mode, did a search for the
root password hash, and replaced it with a known hash for "blah."

DD'ed the image back to the disk, threw it back in the Indigo2, and booted.
I entered maintenace mode, ran sash, and cat'ed the /etc/shadow file.  It
still had the old password.  So, back to the image file I went.  The
password string was in there multiple times, to the point where I lost
count.  I should have thought of that the first time around, but I figured
once was good enough.  Searched and replaced the string until the old string
wasn't in there anymore, reimaged the drive, put it back in the SGI, booted,
and voila:  I can log in again.

The loopback method was a moot point, as the box I was using didn't have the
loopback driver compiled in or available as a module, so I never even tried
it.  I'll definitely keep it in mind (and in my inbox) should another few
years go by and I can't remember the password again. :-)

Thanks so much for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

-Sean

--